THE JOHN R. LAMONTAGNE LECTURE SERIES
Our keynote speaker this year will be Dr. Mary Estes. She is a Distinguished Professor of Virology and Microbiology at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. Her research group studies viruses that infect distinct types of cells (enterocytes, crypt cells, M cells) in the GI tract as probes to learn about the biology, host response and gene expression of these cells. We are using multidisciplinary approaches to probe the structure and molecular biology of GI viruses to understand the basic mechanisms that control virus replication, morphogenesis, virus-host interactions, and pathogenesis.This event will be rescheduled for the fall. Please check back here for updates!
COVID-19 | LCID Researchers in the News
Center for Disease Control
- Clinicians: Put your practice on the map. Register today for t.co/2bQQNRUpU8 and ensure that your community has the most up-to-date information on your practice’s #vaccine services. Learn more: t.co/MeVB8Af2td @VaccineFinder t.co/EGwPUc1jsZ
- A mask is one of the best ways to help protect yourself and others from getting #COVID19. Make sure you wash reusable masks with tips from @CDCgov: t.co/e5ML7KCjZx. t.co/83zM9CpKre
World Health Organization
The new commitments to the initiative are welcome but further funding is needed. The initiative needs an additional US$35 billion to realize its goals of producing 2 billion #COVID19 vaccine doses, 245 million treatments & 500 million tests.
Since the launch the ACT-Accelerator achieved:
✔️ the availability of 120 million affordable & high-quality #COVID19 rapid tests for low-& middle-income countries
✔️ breakthrough in trials of Dexamethasone
✔️ the creation of the COVAX Facility
LCID at UT
- Grace Kago, a grad student in LCID Director Dr. Shelley Payne's group, has worked to create a video in Gikuyu, which is spoken in Kenya. It provides basic information about the COVID pandemic and the virus. t.co/2wG25xYxxx
Under half an hour left to support infectious disease researchers and double your money! C'mon horns...
- It’s #UT40for40 time! Always happy to give back to the organizations/departments that supported me throughout my time on the Forty Acres! Donate to some of your favorite causes here: t.co/lFcmmZGqj4 t.co/I57CtdN5Vp
The time to give is now! Support LCID research here: t.co/klLU2JOAs3 t.co/qhKqq7o9mu
- SAVE THE DATE (Sept 15-16)!! support LCID researchers in the annual 40 hours for the 40 Acres giving campaign next week (t.co/Diz8l0gaBx). LCID directors are matching the first $2000 in LCID gifts!